Friday, January 18, 2008

The search for a coat.

I may have mentioned before that I've been reading Tim Gunn's book, "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style," which is hilarious and very informative. There are lots of passages I could quote, but since I'm looking for a coat, I will simply mention that one of Tim's 10 basics that should be in everyone's wardrobe is a trench coat.

Now, Tim Writes:
"The trench should be of appropriate warmth, because you will be wearing it from early spring to late fall."

I read the statement a second time and thought... what? I live in Seattle - I will wear my trench from early fall to late spring! I need a winter trench, not a summer one! Now if only I could find, out of the several hundred options which will assail me every time I walk into a department store, something that looks good on me!

I am looking for something with a belt, because I look good in clothes with waists. Probably black or gray, in a wool woven fabric. Maybe out of a reaction to my recent coat embarrassment, I really want a coat that is very unique. Something that says "I'm stylish" and that I can feel confidant wearing to a meeting where I may never even take my coat off. I shouldn't need to take my coat off at all - the coat should make the same statement about me as the outfit underneath.

Since I've been looking for a coat, I've been seeing lots of people wearing great coats all around me. I've been particularly noticing the back detailing on the coats of people standing around me on the elevator or at crosswalks.

Here are a couple of sketches of the backs of three coats that caught my eye:

No comments: