Friday, March 14, 2008

Trend Spotlight: Global Mix

The store windows changed this morning.
Gone are the graphic images and bold colors: they have been replaced by soft leaves hanging from the ceiling and tall wooden organic shapes. The mannequins are wearing an assortment of animal prints, graphic tribal designs and chunky wooden necklaces.

I thought to myself, This must be a new trend - one that I know nothing about. So I caught up with my favorite Individualist salesperson, Kristina, to talk about what this trend really means.

Q: In a couple of words, what is the essence of this "Global Mix" trend?

Kristina: I see a lot of natural materials, with ethnic and tribal details. There is also a subtle sparkle and pizazz, even in the designs with a lot of texture.


Q: What are the essential elements that make up this trend?

Kristina: The name basically sums it up: a global mix. Designs are inspired by lots of influences. I see a lot of dresses that are wispy and flowing, often in animal prints or subdued bright graphic prints. There are also safari-inspired looks made out of sparkly, textured fabrics.

Q: If I could only buy one piece to capture this trend for my wardrobe, what would be the most useful?

Kristina: I would suggest one of two things: either just throw an animal print top under a basic black suit, or maybe get a flowing wrap with a bold, or more subtle, tribal print. Like this!

---------------------------------------

It's hard to see in text, but Kristina was holding a gorgeous, sheer, green, gold and black wrap with an amazing leaf print. It really was the essence of all the things we talked about for the trend.


I've been watching people on the bus lately, and I have noticed a lot of people who are wearing elements of this trend. For example, one lady was wearing black slacks and a black top, with a stunning black and white giraffe print jacket. It really was amazing. I've also been seeing people with animal print scarves quite often lately. But honestly, it's still really cold in Seattle - so light dresses and flowing tops just aren't very popular right now. Or at least they're covered up with warm black jackets! It's hard to believe that Easter is only one week away.

As I have been investigating this trend I find elements that I like, but I haven't decided if I need to incorporate it into my look yet. I feel like my base wardrobe isn't quite complete enough to add a trendy piece right now. Maybe I'm just afraid to try wearing a leopard print top under my black jacket.

I do think that the pieces are beautiful - and I know people who would look great in many of the featured colors! Here is a link for some of the selection being offered online:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/6014666/0~2376776~2374327~6014666?origin=hp

~ Abi

No comments: